Saturday, September 17, 2011

LA Kings Training Camp 2011: Penner and team conditioning

Although today is the advertised start of training camp, truth be told, it started yesterday with off-ice strength and conditioning tests.

Continuing with our 'stripped down' approach to today's Kings Training Camp quotes, here are some thoughts from Dustin Penner, Dustin Brown and coach Terry Murray...

Murray on the test results from yesterday - "Overall conditioning, the results were good. We dd the off-ice and on-ice testing. Most importantly for me, the actual hockey test - the on-ice test - was really good. The times, the heart rate recovery, that's what I look at as a primary number. And I'm seeing a real good look from every player that came into camp."

Murray on the shape Dustin Penner is in - "He really did put a lot of work in during the summertime. There's a recovery rate that's going to allow me to get him back on the ice in another shift. And that's what it's all about - getting your best players out there as often as possible."

Dustin Brown on testing - "I tested pretty well, I think. I don't know. I haven't really seen all my scores yet. It's one of those days where you're glad it's over when it's over because it's probably the least liked day of the hockey season."

Murray on Drew Doughty's conditioning - "Leaving here (at the end of last season), the plan was put in place. There was contact made in the early part of the summer. As you get to the latter part, there (hasn't been). The only thing you can hope is - he's a player coming into being an ownership kind of a player in this organization. So, I have confidence that he has a good fell for what needs to be done in order to get himself ready to play hockey - so that when a deal gets done, he's not going to miss a step. He's just going to come in and start to play."

Penner on his scores probably looking good - "I'd hope so, I've been here since May. The ones that I was worried about, I don't know the scores yet - like the rest and recovery drill, (where we do) six sprints and a two minute rest. They were pretty happy though by the look on John (Stevens) face and the look on Jamie (Kompon)'s face. I kept up with Richards and Tim Hunter, so I was happy."

On his weight - "I tried this new thing where I close my eyes when I step on the scale and I don't find out until the media guide comes out. It's more exciting that way. I'm going to have a watch party when it comes out, we can all get together."

More from Penner on his weight - "My weight, for the most part, it's always fluctuated. There's been no consistency with it since college. It's always gone up and down, and then sort of plateaued (recently). But, this year I focused on body fat. That dropped probably 4%."

note: We later learned that Penner weighed about 260 pounds when the Kings first acquired him and he's now down to around 242. That came straight from GM Dean Lombardi. For all the non-believers this summer, go back and read this article.  We pegged it around 15 pounds in early July.

More from Penner - "I felt quicker and stronger today. From the start of my push, when my legs are at a 45-degree angle, all the way through to the end of it, my legs are strong - as opposed to losing power half-way though the push. I can finish my stride."



The Mayor
www.twitter.com/MayorNHL
www.facebook.com/MayorsManor

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment